It’s been a while since I posted, so I figured I’d introduce myself:
Hi. I’m Jenn, and I am a stealth geek.
I would think that, by now, I would be accustomed to the surprised looks I get when I join in a conversation about Star Trek captains (Picard was the best. Stop arguing.) or Wheel of Time characters, but I still occasionally get puzzled by the surprise. I think it’s because I truly believe that I’m a total geek. (Well, okay. The nerd/geek/dork test says I’m pure nerd, but I’m going to own geek culture anyhow.)
Here’s why I believe in my heart of hearts that I’m a geek:
- I LOVE reading epic fantasy (my username at MIT was arwen. Do I really need to say more?).
- I hate not having admin rights on a computer.
- I have a slashdot login.
- I lived on the “geeky” side of campus when I went to MIT.
- Speaking of which, I did go to one of the geekiest schools in the country.
- When I was in IT, when a new server came I would immediately want to open it up to see the components.
- My favorite TV shows and movies usually have to do with magic, dragons, superheroes, sci fi, aliens, or whatnot. I am a HUGE Joss Whedon fan.
- I play video games for fun.
- I deeply love intellectual debates.
- I WILL correct you if you’re wrong.
Despite being a bit geeky deep down (a bit – who am I kidding?), I don’t necessarily come across as one. I have some theories as to this as well:
- I am an extrovert. Quite massively so.
- I love talking to people.
- I currently work in marketing.
- I wear make-up.
- I smell kinda good. (I wear perfume. “Good” is subjective.)
- I don’t wear glasses (during the day).
- I dress somewhat stylishly (yay Nordstrom stylists).
- I have a Nordstrom stylist.
- I’m really into exercise and physical fitness.
- I once played a ditz in drama club and high school and I have NEVER gotten rid of some of those mannerisms. Sigh.
All that said, I could be completely wrong. What do you guys think? (I will return to less narcissistic posts in the future, I swear.)
5 thoughts on “I am a stealth geek”
Ahhh you are a geek in wolves clothing 🙂 Nothing wrong with that at all. I on the other hand take my moments – sometimes you would never know – unless that day I am wearing one of my many”geek chic” T-shirts. Eventually people figure it out though – I can only go so long before something geek slips out …. oh well 🙂
And I agree Picard is the best – End. of. Story
Yeah; I’m not truly stealthy, either…
all your theories boil down to this: you are a stealth geek because you’re hot
nuff said 🙂
Hah. You’re only saying that because you look like me (being my sister and all…).
Comments are closed.