If we’re friends on Facebook, you might have noticed that we’re planning to move back to Seattle. And, while I hate moving with a passion (and this is the 4th time we’ve moved in 5 years), I’m extremely excited to be moving back. Well, in abstract, anyhow. Right now, I’m just tired.
So, as I’ve done for a few state-to-state moves, I’ve put together a FAQ for everyone:
1. Wait, what? Didn’t you just move to the Bay Area from Seattle?
Well, if “just” means almost two years ago, yeah.
2. Why are you doing this?
A combination of reasons, really. Here they are:
- When we visited Seattle in March, we realized it felt like home. Despite being gone for a while. Despite waiting 13 months between visits. Despite the extraordinary amount of construction that has gone on there since we left. I even posted about it on Facebook:
- So we realized that we were going to move back to Seattle. We didn’t figure it would be this soon, but I ended up unexpectedly out of work. After some long conversations, we decided that I’d split my search between the Bay Area and Seattle.
- And then I got two really amazing offers, one in each area. Both cross-functional roles at amazing companies with products I was passionate about. We had a very tough decision to make. After some even longer conversations, we realized that it was just time to go back to Seattle.
3. What job did you take?
I am now Director of Product Marketing at Indix, a product intelligence platform that helps ecommerce businesses make smart product decisions (so much data! Awesome APIs! I’m kinda in heaven). I started there on June 8th, and I’ve been flying back & forth to Seattle since then. It’s a pretty amazing job.
4. What’s your husband doing?
My husband REALLY didn’t want to leave his company. And he doesn’t have to! He’ll be working remotely for Quantifind in the same role.
5. Where will you live?
Believe it or not, we got the exact same apartment we lived in before. Not just the same building, but the same unit. I never changed my checks over to my California addresses, so at least they’ll be still good, right? I know, no one uses checks. Still pretty neat, though. The picture at the top of this post is a sunrise view from that apartment. There are more buildings there now, but I’ll still have the mountain.
6. When do you leave?
Our one-way plane tickets are booked for July 21st.
7. Wait! That’s too fast! I want to see you!
I have good news for you: you can! We’re throwing a “finish the wine” party on July 18th–let me know if you want an invite. And, even better, we’re going to be working out of the Bay Area one week out of every eight, so I’m not going to fall off the face of the planet.
8. Why come back every couple of months?
Well, as I said, my husband will be working remotely, so they want to see him every so often. And Indix has a sales office in San Francisco, and I want to work with them very closely. The regular trips are going to be great for both of us.
I think that’s about it. Let me know if you have any other questions. I’m going to go take a nap. Or pack. Or something.